Sunday 23 June 2013

REFLECTING ON EDUC 6713



It’s amazing to think that I’ve come to the end of another course and the final one at that.  I’ve learned so much during the course of the last seven weeks but the most interesting addition to my knowledge would be the GAME plan process and its importance in facilitating life-long and self-directed learning, as well as how to use technology to differentiate instruction and build critical and creative thinking skills in my students.  

Though my implementation of my GAME plan is still in progress, the experience of developing and implementing it thus far has helped me to appreciate its significance in producing quality lessons, learning of new tools and strategies and also the impact that it would have on my students to develop their own GAME plan.  This significance does not only apply to their academic pursuits, but also to their personal goals as well.  For example, I’m in the process of developing a personal game plan with my son where the goal is to improve his study and comprehension skills.  The main benefit derived from the GAME plan was that it helped to focus on what I needed to do.  Ordinarily I may have overlooked the monitoring and evaluation stage of the process, but I’ve learned that this is an integral element to determining whether or not my goals are being achieved and if I need to adjust my action plan (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009).  In my classroom the students will gain tremendous benefits especially when they have major assignments and projects to complete.  A game plan will help them to outline a clear path towards achieving their goals.  As a result of their practicing the monitoring and evaluation of their own plans they develop metacognition and become life-long learners themselves (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009b).  

As a direct result of the skills and knowledge I’ve gained from this course, I intend to utilize the game plan approach in implementing at least one technological tool and instructional strategy into my lessons per term.  Preparing and implementing the three lessons using the game plan approach helped me appreciate how easy it is to integrate technology within my lessons.  I am however mindful that processes take time and that I am almost certain to encounter numerous challenges along the way.    I’m certain however that some of these challenges will be overcome with my increasing knowledge and technological skills, confidence and support from my colleagues (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009a).

 Technological tools are also integral to meeting the diverse needs of my learners.  By utilizing web-based tools that allow students to access information through a variety of formats, I’m better able to meet their individual needs and allow their individual strengths to shine through.  Online collaboration tools, social networking sites and digital storytelling also provide opportunities for differentiation both in and out of the classroom.  

I believe in starting small and getting comfortable with the technology but just like driving, the real learning begins after obtaining the driver’s license and left to navigate the busy streets on your own.  I feel the same way where integrating technology into my classroom is concerned.  I’ve been armed with tools, knowledge and resources to achieve my goals but now the real learning begins. 
References

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning. 

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009a). Program three: Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences With Technology, Part 1 [Video Webcast]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009b). Program one: Promoting Self-Directed Learning with Technology [Video Webcast]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

No comments: